If you are looking at ways to kill mosquitos, you must be looking at how to safeguard your home, landscape and lawn from the mosquitos. They could be a nuisance if you are just chilling outside and the mosquitos disturb your peace; from their whining buzz to sucking blood and the health hazard that they pose. They could facilitate the spread of yellow fever and malaria.
Here are some of the common ways to kill mosquitos.
- Kill mosquito larvae. This method will use chemicals which can kill the larvae for over a month. By killing the larvae, you will be breaking the life cycle of the mosquitos.
- Eliminate the breeding sites on your property. Clear stagnant water around your home to reduce the breeding sites which will in turn reduce the number of mosquitos. Places that you can check include clogged rain gutters, potholes, containers and discarded cans, tree holes and outdoor flower pots saucers.
- Have a mosquito repellent for your outdoor living space. This will control how mosquitos invade your outdoor living space.
- Use mosquito killers. This will kill both adult species and break the breeding cycle. The pesticides are mostly poured into water which will in turn kill the larvae.
- Clean your pond by removing the algae. Mosquito larvae will feed on algae and other micro organisms that live in water. Therefore, removing algae will deprive them of food and will reduce the breeding of mosquitos.
- Using traps. Although this will not prevent the breeding of mosquitos, it will control them around your home. Most of the used traps are UV, Carbon dioxide, water, propane and heat traps. Its important to change the traps regularly.
- Lighting candles and lanterns. When lit with essential oils known to repel mosquitos, they will help in repelling mosquitos. Some of the oils used include lavender, clove, cedarwood, rosemary, peppermint, lemongrass and citronella.
- Plant mosquito repelling plants. The essential oils and fragrances in some plants will naturally repel the mosquitos. Plant the trees around the perimeter to repel mosquitos as well as adding beauty to your setting.
- Invite bats to your yard. Bats are mosquito predators. A bat can eat up to 1000 mosquito sized insects in one night.
It is very important to note that you can use more than one method if you want to completely eliminate mosquitos from your outdoor space. Invite your friends around home and worry no more if you have no mosquitos around.